City of Richmond Hill

City of Richmond Hill

City of Richmond Hill

By-Law Requirements:

  1. Minimum 1.5m (5ft) set back from the property line
  2. Minimum 1.2m (4ft) set back from the house walls
  3. Pool enclosure fence height minimum of 1.2m (4ft) and maximum of 1.8m (6ft)
  4. Self closing and Self Latching fence gate
  5. Pool must be accessible from dwelling with child proofed doors/gates with lock located minimum of 1.5m (5ft) above the ground 
  6. Minimum 0.6m (2ft) around the perimeter of the property to remain undisturbed

Site Alteration Grading Plan Requirements:

  • Standard general notes for swimming pools.
  • North arrow and drawing metric scale 1:200 or 1:250
  • Consultant Certification stamp
  • Proposed location information, this includes fence enclosure details
  • Proposed grading information. Existing elevation, proposed elevation, and existing drainage patterns must be included.
  • Property set backs
  • Lot grading must be certified by a developer’s engineering consultant before a permit is issued to new subdivision home owners, contact your developer or builder about the lot grading status

Submission Requirements:

  1. Digital pdf copy of the Site Grading Plan
  2. Site Alteration Permit Application Form – please contact or call (905)771-8800 ext. 6432
  3. Toronto and region conservation authority TRCA (if applicable)
  4. In Site Plan Control Areas of Richmond Hill, a Site Plan Amendment Form is needed. 
  5. Tree Declaration Form or a Tree Removal  Form (if applicable)
Please contact (905)771-8800 ext. 6432 or email for submission. 
For more information, visit

City of Richmond Hill Fees:

  • $490 Site Alteration Permit Fee 
  • $450 + hst Landscape Inspection Fee
  • $79 Pool Enclosure Fee
  • $3,000 Pool Security Deposit

Golden Water Aquatics Engineering Fees $2500 (Homeowners are responsible for submission and city fees).

*Current grading plan is required, extra charges apply if not available. 

*Not including any forestry reports and permits if needed. 

*Not including Conservation Permits and approvals if applicable.